Skip to Content

Fact Page (IIHR at a Glance)

  • Lights Outisde the West Door of Stanley Hydraulic LabIIHR is a unit of the University of Iowa College of Engineering
  • IIHR currently enrolls about 90 graduate students:
    • 33 percent MS and 67 percent PhD
    • 79 percent men and 21 percent women
  • IIHR graduate students represent 16 countries: Bhutan, China, Colombia, Egypt, Ethiopia, Greece, India, Iran, Italy, Malaysia, Nepal, Peru, South Korea, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, and USA
  • About 50 percent are international students
  • Sixty-one research engineers and scientists work with students
  • IIHR Organizational Chart
  • IIHR research is supported by grants and contracts from a wide range of funders, including:
    • State and federal government agencies
    • Nonprofit organizations and foundations
    • Public utility districts
    • Engineering firms
    • Municipalities
  • The first hydraulic lab at the University of Iowa was built in 1920 on the banks of the Iowa River
  • The original lab expanded and grew to became today’s C. Maxwell Stanley Hydraulics Lab (SHL), the heart of the IIHR community
  • UI architect George Horner designed the Stanley Hydraulics Lab, which is a hybrid of Romanesque Revival and Art Moderne architectural styles
  • SHL was renovated in 2002 and renamed to honor 1926 UI engineering alumnus C. Maxwell Stanley
  • In 2000, the American Water Works Association designated the SHL as an American Water Landmark
  • In 2005, the American Society of Civil Engineers awarded the prestigious National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark to SHL
  • IIHR’s facilities include eight annexes, labs, and shops:
  • LACMRERS is the first university-owned research facility on the Mississippi River, offering space for:
    • Education
    • Research
    • Laboratory work
    • Meetings
  • The Iowa Flood Center, founded at IIHR in 2009, is the nation’s first university-based center for study and research related to floods.
  • In 2007, artist Shirley Wyrick created a sculpture for the entrance area of the C. Maxwell Stanley Hydraulics Laboratory titled Free Flow. The sculpture comprises a waterfall, three cast bronze watercourses, and detailed relief images of IIHR’s history and research
  • State-of-the-art computing resources support IIHR’s education and research
  • A new high-performance computer cluster (Helium or “He”) supports large-scale research-related utilizing multiple processors to perform concurrent jobs in parallel, helping to speed up computation
Tags: , , , ,
Last modified on November 9th, 2016
Posted on June 1st, 2010

Site by Mark Root-Wiley of MRW Web Design