IFC Hosts Open House in Honor of Pres. Harreld
September 12, 2016
The Iowa Flood Center (IFC) was proud to host an open house from 7–9 am on Sept. 15 at the Hydraulics Wind Tunnel Annex on the University of Iowa campus. The event was part of a series of open houses featuring the university’s “hidden gems.” The “Week of Inspiration” honored the installation of President Bruce Harreld as the University of Iowa’s 21st president. Harreld was among the 50 people who stopped by the Wind Tunnel Annex for coffee, donuts, and lots of IFC technology and information.
Visitors saw and experienced:
- The IFC’s mobile polarimetric X-band radar, used for precipitation monitoring
- Stream-stage sensors, which measure stream water elevation
- Rain gauge platforms that monitor rain and soil moisture
- A hands-on watershed model demonstrating how flooding moves through a basin
- The Iowa Flood Information System, an online application that provides real-time flood-related information statewide
Visitors also had the opportunity to visit IIHR’s Model Annex, where they saw a physical model of a vortex dropshaft and tunnel section for the city of St. Louis.