IIHR—Hydroscience & Engineering is a world-renowned center for education, research, and public service focusing on fluids. Based in the C. Maxwell Stanley Hydraulics Laboratory, a five-story red brick building on the banks of the Iowa River, IIHR is a unit of the University of Iowa’s College of Engineering. At IIHR, students, faculty members, and research engineers work together to understand and manage one of the world’s greatest resources—water. Students from around the world benefit from IIHR’s comprehensive multidisciplinary approach, which includes laboratory experimentation, computational approaches, and observational field research.
The C. Maxwell Stanley Hydraulics Laboratory (SHL) is IIHR’s flagship building and its intellectual and administrative hub. It is located on South Riverside Drive in Iowa City, Iowa, set on the banks of the Iowa River on the University of Iowa’s beautiful 1,700-acre campus. Many IIHR researchers, staff members, visiting researchers, and students have offices in SHL.
IIHR maintains 10 facilities, several of which support the lab’s extensive physical modeling activities. Click the button below for a map and list of these facilities, with links to information about each.
- IIHR alumni represent many countries worldwide.
- About 38 faculty members and 45 research engineers and scientists work at IIHR.
- IIHR has professional staff dedicated to the shops, research computing, and administration.
- IIHR hosts many international visiting scholars and students each year.
- The first hydraulics lab, which grew to became today’s C. Maxwell Stanley Hydraulics Lab (SHL), opened in 1920 on the banks of the Iowa River.
- UI architect George Horner designed the Stanley Hydraulics Lab, which is a hybrid of Romanesque Revival and Art Moderne architectural styles.
- SHL was renovated in 2002 and renamed to honor 1926 UI engineering alumnus C. Maxwell Stanley.
- In 2000, the American Water Works Association designated SHL as an American Water Landmark.
- In 2005, the American Society of Civil Engineers awarded prestigious National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark status to SHL.
- Grants and contracts from a wide range of sources support IIHR research, including: state and federal government agencies; nonprofit organizations and foundations; public utility districts; engineering firms; municipalities; and more.
- IIHR’s Lucille A. Carver Mississippi Riverside Environmental Research Station (LACMRERS) was the first university-owned facility on the Upper Mississippi River.
- The Iowa Flood Center, founded at IIHR in 2009, is the nation’s first university-based center for study and research dedicated to floods.
- The Iowa Geological Survey, with a history dating back to 1855, joined IIHR in 2014 to provide expertise in groundwater modeling, mapping of Iowa’s earth and mineral resources, innovative geophysical skills, and more.